Cancer Control Video Series | Cancer Sites | Cancer Risk Factors | Improving Cancer Outcomes | Browse Resources
Learn about breast cancer risk factors and screening recommendations from Dr. Lisa Richardson MD, MPH, the Director of the Center for Disease Control’s Division of Cancer Prevention and Control.
Watch a little at a time by clicking on the videos below or watch the entire video at the bottom of the page.
- Empowering Physicians to Improve Breast Cancer Screening
- National Cancer Institute - Empowering Physicians to Improve Breast Cancer Screening (EPICS) – A five-hour training that contains 3 hours of skilled demonstration in breast examination and the counseling of patients, on the importance of regular mammography exams.
- Cancer Screening Coverage
- Insurance coverage of cancer screening differs widely based on the insurer and state. The matrix on the linked page clarifies coverage.
- Cancer Screening: Guidelines and Insurance Coverage
- This PDF gives a detailed summary of the criteria a person may want to consider in the selection of their cancer screening options.
- Breast Cancer Screening
- Health Resources and Service Administration (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services) - Part 2: Characteristics for Success: Breast Cancer Screening - Discusses breast cancer statistics, characteristics of success for breast cancer screening, clinical quality measure of breast cancer screening, Improvement strategies for screening, and the spreading of improvement for breast cancer screening.
- Cancer Prevention and Control: Cancer Screening
- The Community Guide - Cancer Prevention and Control: Cancer Screening - Evidence-Based Interventions for Your Community - Evidence based findings and recommendations form the Community Preventive Services to help community’s indicate what types of intervention programs will work best for their community, which will improve cancer screening.
- Breast Cancer
- American Cancer Society - Breast Cancer - General overview of breast cancer: what is breast cancer, causes, risks, prevention, early detection, diagnosis, staging, treatments, talking with your doctor, after cancer treatment, what’s new in breast cancer research.
- From cancer screening to treatment: Service delivery and referral in the National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program - Jacqueline W. Miller MD1,*, Vivien Hanson MD2, Gale D. Johnson MPA3, Janet E. Royalty MA1 and Lisa C. Richardson MD1
- Describe trends in breast cancer
- List risk factors for breast cancer
- Explain screening recommendations
Quiz and Certificate of Completion
Click Quiz and Certificate of Completion to take a short quiz and reeceive a certificate for this topic.
Lisa Richardson, MD, MPH, Centers for Disease Control
Dr. Lisa Richardson is the Director of the CDC’s Division of Cancer and Control. Under her leadership are the Colorectal Cancer Control Program, the National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program, the National Comprehensive Cancer Control Program, and the National Program of Cancer Registries. Previously Dr. Richardson received her medical degree and Bachelor of Science from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and her Master in Public Health from the University of Michigan, School of Public Health.